As environmental concerns about the fashion industry grow, the popularity of eco-friendly clothing is on the rise. To reduce their carbon footprint, fashion companies are exploring a range of sustainable materials, from sustainable cotton to recycled polyester.
One of the newest trends in eco-friendly fashion is recycled nylon for underwear. This article delves into the reasons behind the rise of recycled nylon and why it's a sustainable choice for your intimate apparel.
What Is Recycled Nylon?
Nylon is a synthetic fabric that the fashion industry has frequently used. Nylon is ideal for athletic wear, swimwear, and lingerie because of its durability, lightweight, and quick-drying properties. However, the production of nylon requires a significant amount of resources and energy and is not biodegradable. Consequently, nylon products in landfills may take hundreds of years to decompose, exacerbating the plastic pollution problem.
On the other hand, recycled nylon is made from either pre-consumer waste, such as scraps from textile factories, or post-consumer waste, such as discarded fishing nets. These materials are collected, cleaned, and processed into new nylon fibers, reducing the need for virgin nylon production. While recycled nylon has the same qualities as virgin nylon, it has a much lower environmental impact.
Why Is Recycled Nylon a Sustainable Choice?
Creating recycled nylon involves collecting nylon waste and turning it into a new material, which can be used to create various products, including underwear.
Here are some reasons why recycled nylon is a sustainable choice for your intimate wear:
- Reduces Waste: Using recycled materials, nylon production is diverted from landfills and water bodies, where it could take hundreds of years to decompose. Instead, nylon waste is repurposed to create new products, reducing waste and pollution.
- Lowers Carbon Footprint: The production of recycled nylon requires less energy and emits fewer greenhouse gases than virgin nylon production. It is estimated that using recycled nylon can reduce the carbon footprint of a product by up to 80%. Using recycled nylon, fashion brands can reduce their carbon footprint and conserve natural resources.
- Water Conservation: Producing virgin nylon requires a significant amount of water. In contrast, recycled nylon production requires significantly less water, up to 80% less, making it a more sustainable choice.
- Durability and Quality: Nylon is known for its durability and longevity. Recycled nylon products offer the same quality and durability as virgin nylon products but with a lower environmental impact.
- Versatility: Recycled nylon can be used to create a wide range of products, including lingerie and underwear. This means you can make a sustainable choice without sacrificing style or quality.
- Circular Economy: Recycling nylon is a part of the circular economy, where waste is turned into new raw materials for production. This model reduces the need for virgin materials and extends the life cycle of products, creating a more sustainable and efficient system.
Eco-Friendly Underwear Brands Using Recycled Nylon
Several fashion and underwear brands have incorporated recycled nylon into their collections. Notable names in this category are:
Nuttch employs premium Italian recycled nylon, a robust, soft, and long-lasting yarn that bears certifications from GRS and OEKO-TEX. The yarn is fashioned from industrial waste nylon and repurposed via the Melting Continuous System technique. The recycling and production phases are located near Mantua, in the same production district where the material is recovered and spun into bobbins. A tracked system re-fashions mechanically recycled material into yarn. The recovery process starts with sorting and saving nylon scraps from production lines in the district, avoiding landfills. These leftovers are shredded, mixed with additional nylon, and extruded to create a recycled polymer that mimics the properties and appearance of typical hydrocarbon-based plastic. Traceability is uncompromised, as no chemical additives or other materials are used. The European LCA system's ISO 14040 and ISO 14044 guidelines evaluate the procedure.
Organic Basics, a sustainable fashion brand, incorporates recycled nylon into its activewear line by partnering with an Italian supplier. The recycled nylon is derived from various waste materials, including pre-consumer industrial scraps. Additionally, their material carries certification from the Global Recycled Standard, guaranteeing the legitimacy of the recycled materials.
Underprotection, a Danish fashion label, specializes in producing ethical and sustainable lingerie by utilizing recycled nylon and other eco-friendly materials in their collections. Their products undergo Oeko-Tex certification, signifying their absence of harmful chemicals. Furthermore, the recycled materials used in their products are certified by the Global Recycled Standard, assuring their authenticity.
Recycled nylon is a sustainable choice for underwear and other fashion products. Choosing eco-friendly underwear brands that use recycled nylon can contribute to a more sustainable and ethical fashion industry.
Nuttch offers high-quality, made-in-Italy sustainable underwear. We are a family-owned business of passionate individuals who want to create a brand that does not compromise quality, fair production, environmental impact, and animal exploitation.
Check out our collection today!